Thursday, September 13, 2012

weddings?

Weddings are a new thing for me. It never ocurred to me to think about the fact that I will be asked to do death bed weddings and such. It's a touchy subject for a lot of people. I know my coworkers insist that every couple needs marital counseling and so they won't do it. My thought is that if someone is willing to marry you when you are dying that is something. Talk about in sickness and in health. The important part is to assertain if it is about them or about money. That is difficult. The other thing to consider is why is it so urgent. If the person is very sick and will die, but not immenently then it makes more sense to say okay wait. If the person is likely to never leave the hospital it makes sense to work with them. The UMEA actually encourages chaplains to think about these things and be willing to perform these.

Now the next thing to consider is: I work with a majority of religions. Am I just supposed to marry just Christians? Do I believe that marrying others is part of my appointment? My appointment is very unique. It seems to me that if someone asks me to marry them in my hospital, in my parish then I am obligated, no called to be with them in that. The anointing and the calling placed on me is to show God's love and sometimes that is going to them in the place they are in. That means working with them as long as I do not compromise myself.

I wonder if I view marriage differently since I am not married. I see it as a sacred union and the grace of God being bestowed upon a couple bringing them in to a sacred bond that should never be broken.

ah these are ponderings and like I say it's not that simple. There are so many complexities.

No comments:

Post a Comment